mandag 31. mai 2010

The Last BlogLog


This is the last BerkeleyBlogLog there is. The meaning of writing this blog was just to show my impression of America and how their ways are different from ours. From the feedback I've gotten, both Norwegians and Americans have found this interesting and to some extent funny. It is therefore time to step back from my blog career and start my summer vacation back in Norway.

We started out as 4 Norwegian girls who met on Facebook (ah, the wonderful future) and decided to move in together. We found we are 4 totally different girls and this might have been the reason why we've had so much fun together. In Berkeley, In San Francisco, in Santa Cruz, in the Bahamas, in Miami, in Fort Lauderdale, at David Guetta concert, a real American baseballgame, in church, to Six Flags, at an endless amount of cafés and Cheesecake Factories and even more night clubs, at the gym (to make up for the Cheesecake Factories), through aching feet and blisters to sunburn and hungoverness, from shoe shopping to eating bread and water - we have been through a lot together.

On my own I have driven from SF to LA, from LA to Vegas. I have been to Lake Tahoe, and I've even met more than one celebrity. More importantly: I have been to Chippendales. I've seen the nakedness under the American covers (symbolically) and it's just as American all the way through.
I've tried the American education system and I've succeeded in understanding it. I like the system, but as it turns out, I actually prefer the Norwegian system at the end of it. Though I wish the graders back home were as nice as the Professors here <3

I feel I understand the American way more clearly now after the 5 months I've spent here. I understand why it's difficult to eat healthy when every streetcorner, every commercial, everything and everyone tells you to do otherwise. I understand why precautions are made everywhere as people like to sue one another to make money bacause money is everything. If you have money you're treated better. I don't understand the tax and tipping system and I HATE IT because there's always more money to pay than what you expected! And lastly there is one more thing I will never understand, that I really find awful, terrible and sad.. so sad.. Why do they still have pennies when you can't use them for ANYTHING? No where, no one, not machine, no human being will accept them and still here we are pockets full of unwanted worthless pennies. But no hard feelings America, in the end of it I had a great time. And maybe, just maybe, the homeless guy on the corner will accept my box of pennies. We'll see.

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go..

Have a great summer everyone! And remember, there is NO H&M at the corner of Shattuck and Channing. None whatsoever. But on the bright side, they were nice enough to put up a sign warning us.

Good Times...

1 kommentar: