søndag 31. januar 2010

Walking the streets of Berkeley

Exiting my apartment to get a (heavenly) coffee across the street - it hits me as I walk out in the Sunday afternoon sunlight that I shouldn't return to my dark bedroom and study just yet. The temperature is fantastic - gotta hang the jacket around my waist and continue down the street and watch the quiet Sunday life.

Half of the stores are open - their Neon lights glowing. All stores in Berkeley have neon lights. From cafés to Pharmacies to Hair dressers. I turn right towards the hills. On my way people I've never met greet me with a smile. The homeless are the most polite: "Anything will help" they say as they shake their cup of money, and if I don't donate they'll say "you have a wonderful day anyway". (Argh, guilt guilt..)


There's an art gallery suddenly on my right inviting me in for a free look. It was wonderful to just look around for a couple of minutes in a bypass - the paintings really were amazing - and then continue my adventure furter away from downtown Berkeley.

Passing the University area, the smell of Marijuana and the sight of clothing stores still embracing the 90's hit me and the area is filled with all kinds of people. A big mix of cultures, religions, styles, protesters, young, old, rich, poor.. This is the place to be free - everyone's accepted. The hippie area of Berkeley. Even if you're born in the 80's - this is where you can relive the 70's.

The hills get steeper, there are more and more squirrels surrounding you and the houses fewer but more chic. Berkeley Hills - the richer part of Berkeley. Suddenly there's a huge stadium right next to my path and I walk in to take a peek. It's Humongous.... Only practice today, no audience. I'll come back for a real match.

Continuing up, nature embraces me and I meet three other Norwegians on their own discovery journey. I join them and we follow a path up in the forest. We even meet wild turkeys on the way. No bunnies out today - there are usually plenty:)



On the top we see San Francisco in the distance. A beautiful view my pictures could never retell - too bad for you guys:P

On the way back as I walk alone, a homeless guy decides to express his emotions for me: "You white b****, you f****** white b****!!!" What a peculiar thing to tell a stranger..

It turned out to be a very interesting day after all. A walk in Berkeley is always unique;)

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar